This post has already been read 106 times!
THE BELIEVERS BIBLE STUDY
Stewards of The Mysteries of God#02 Born of Water and Spirit
Topic: Baptism in Jesus NameScripture Reading: (Ephesians 1:17)Purpose: A MINI COURSE
Introduction: Purpose: This is a mini course to give you the basics of water baptism. It is not a doctrinal study however but it is biblically sound and patterns itself around the apostles doctrine which taught the teachings of Jesus himself. It is a brief Discipleship course introducing water baptism in Jesus name to the person who desires to take the first step into the faith.
1.What did Jesus tell John about his baptism?“Suffer me now”No man is ever to put off such an important step, the step that puts a man into Christ (Romans 6:3-4).
2. Was Jesus baptised and why?Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptised of him. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptised of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. And Jesus, when he was baptised, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.(Mt 3:13-17).
3. How is baptism carried out and in whose name?Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to.(Matthew 28:19).
4. Why is the Believer to be baptised?If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15).
5. Did Jesus command us to be baptised?And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.(Mark 16:16).
6. Did the Apostles Command believers to be baptised?The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen (Acts 1:1).And he commanded them to be baptised in the name of the Lord, then prayed they him to tarry certain days (Acts 10;48).
7.If someone asks what shall we do, what should be your answer?The Jews also had heard the truth and were also wondering what to do, for they asked Peter, “What shall we do?” To this Peter replied, “Repent and be baptised every one of you for the remission of sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 2:38).
8.When should one be baptised?Baptism is to be done immediately.Did not hesitate to be baptisedThose who heard Peter’s message they that received his Word were baptised and there were added unto them in “that day” about three thousand souls. (Acts 2:41)
9.Describe the Ethiopian’s Eunichs baptism?Behold here is water “what doth hinder me” to be baptised? … and he “commanded” the chariot to stand still and they both went down into the water… and he baptised him (Acts 8:36,38) note first, we are commanded to be baptised not invited. Secondly it the Eunich was baptised immediately. He was travelling and he stopped the chariot immediately.
10.Describe Saul’s baptismAnd Now why tarriest thou? (Acts 22;16a)And Now why tarriest thou, arise and be baptised and wash away thy sins, calling on his name ( Acts 22:16).
11.Describe the Philippian Jailor’s baptism?Baptised the same hourHe Was taken the same hour of the night and was baptised, he and all his, immediately (Acts 16:29-34). Such was the importance of baptism that Paul awoke the whole family out of bed in the middle of the night
12. Does baptism place us in right standing with God?Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptised of him. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptised of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. And Jesus, when he was baptised, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.(Matthew 3:13-17).
13. Who are the saved ones?He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mark 16:16).
14. What takes place in water baptism?Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptised into Jesus Christ were baptised into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.(Romans 6:3-7)
16. What does Romans 6:4 tell us about our death, burial and resurrection?Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (Romans 6:4).
17. What happens to the old man in baptism?In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. (Colossians 2:11,12).
18.What did it take to do all this?And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.(Col 2:12)
19. Was anyone ever re-baptised?And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptised? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptised with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus.(Acts 19:1-5).
NOTES:Jesus and his name are one. It is Jesus that baptises us when we take on his name. Hence the singular name of Matthew 28. There’s power healing deliverance and salvation Jesus and as we take on his name these things become ours. Salvation’s our because Jesus has become our salvation. We appropriate it through obedience to his commands. The believer is a baptised one who has take-in his name in baptism and so becomes a child of God. We are begotten of him when we take phis name that is adopted by God when we take on his name. Those born of God are called by his name.
For further Study: Matt 28:16-20. John 20, 21. Acts 1Questions to Consider: How does baptism associate his with Christ (Romans 6;4) what is the promise of (Romans 6;5) those baptised by him are those who willies with him into eternal life is this true (Romans 6;5) those who are buried with him in baptism are free from sin ( Romans 6;7) is the baptised one dead to sin (Romans 6;11). Is the baptised one a servant of righteousness or a servant of sin (Romans 6.16,17). What does Romans 8:1 tells about the Law of life in christ Jesus.For further Study:Questions to Consider:Literature: Paul’s Ebooks on Amazon